> Out of curiosity - can I ask why you want to use ambisonics as opposed to
> other spatial audio techniques ?

I'm not sure how to answer. What other techniques did you have in
mind? The reasons are several: I understand at least to some extent
Ambisonics, and I have some (but limited) experience doing it in a
planer array; Ambisonics are flexible and scalable; compatible with
some B-format that my colleagues and I have realised already and will
create in the near future; and can be implemented in the software that
I use (largely PureData and SuperCollider.)

I don't really see which techniques seriously compete with Ambisonics,
but I'll very happily check them out if you point me to them.

- martin