On 02/20/2016 06:22 PM, Richard Graham wrote:
Hi Archontis,

I would like to design decoders for 2d and 3d arrays, 1st through
3rd order (at least), both regular and irregular arrays. C code
examples would be incredibly helpful as I plan to develop decoders
for Pd and Max.

Fons' ambdec is GPL, and it comes with a nice set of example setups.
It's C++, but the way Fons uses it, it reads pretty much like plain C.
After all, a dsp loop is a dsp loop...

Most importantly, I’d like to figure out how to calculate these
coefficients myself and I am having trouble finding literature on
how to do that. I have reached out to a few folks who used their own
programs to calculate coefficients. Essentially, I’d like to build
my own program in the C programming language.

Aaron Heller has a Matlab/Octave toolkit out that will generate matrices
for you, and it's completely open. But it relies on quite complex functions of the framework... His solutions are used at CCRMA, to
great effect. Probably your best starting point.

Richard has one but keeps it proprietary, Fons has one but also doesn't
like to part with it (although he has been very generous about
generating custom Ambdec setups for people, me included).

For the nitty-gritty, check out the papers from recent Ambisonics
symposia and the ICSA conferences. Talk to Thomas Musil from Graz for
the old-school, lovingly hand-optimized matrix approach, or to Zotter et
al. for the All-Rad approach that works for arbitrary setups but is
quite complex and kind of brute-forceish. I can dig them up for you if you can't find them.

Shortly, I will have access to a 16-channel ring on the horizontal
plane and a b-format cube. This system will be modular and
configurable into irregular setups, too.

nice! but unless you really need extremely high horizontal resolution for research purposes or a truly humongous listening area, a better use for all those speakers would be to make a more or less uniform 3D rig.
gets you a nice dodecahedron for full third-order all around.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net