Hi Jörn,

well about the physics/maths of the technique there is a paper [1].
Let me just give you a small introduction/rough idea... the program
performs a numerical optimization of a cost function. The cost function
uses Rv and Re as building blocks. The nice feature of this kind of
numerical minimizations is that the constraints you put are not hard and
you can tune them. For example, if I remember well, I read that you are not
particularly interested in optimizing for localization error. then you can
tune the parameters of the cost function to care about other stuff (e.g.
the modulus of Re instead of its direction).

The program is not straightforward to use... you have to read the paper
first and know a bit of ambisonics (I know _you_ do). Anyway I am very
happy to generate decoders for any of you... just contact me.
The code is not well organized. Everything started as a test... not as a
structured project. I hope that little by little I'll be able to give it a
better shape. Be patient.

We tested the decoders produced by idhoa with Aaron Heller, Eric Benjamin
and Fernando Lopez-Lezcano in a wonderful afternoon at CCRMA (thanks again
guys!) against the decoders produced by allrad (if I remember well... Aaron
produced them). They sounded very very very similar... probably because the
CCRMA layout is fairly "regular" (not in SH sense). I think idhoa makes
more sense for weird layouts.

Ciao

[1] https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conferences/?elib=17364
(if you don't have access drop me an email)