Augustine Leudar wrote:

You can't just make up a new type of amplitude panning like that Stefan.
There is a process involved -  there has to be naming ceremony and at least
two research papers with fancy looking graphs in them. Tsk tsk.

Ok, fully agreed!

< Irony on >

I < could > have extended my MNNAP basic assumptions to microphone theory, but now I won't... :-X

I would have shown why it is hard to build some < dense > stereophonic microphone. It is basically a consequence of the scientific findings in my previous sursound posting... If some (now real) acoustical source shows up in too many < neighbouring/near > capsules, results ain't be pretty!

I tried to build some "naive" 22.2 mike to plot some "fancy looking graphs" which would have shown some amazing amount of X-talks between < non-neighbouring > capsules - explaining why the microphone was supposed to sound quite badly. (in listening tests. Double-blind, comparing to 5.1 mikes and old quad recordings...Especially the quad recordings didn't show any significant < non-neighbouring > X-talk!)

After all, the 22.2 mike prototype didn't sound too bad. I couldn't prove my theory and had to stop this project...

This happens if practice doesn't comply w/ theory... I couldn't publish some paper, because some practical application should not have worked - and yet did!

Not good...      :-D

< Irony off >

Best,

Stefan