Augustine Leudar wrote:

so yes - there is a slight difference - Vbap has to based on triangles -
other forms of amplitude panning don't

If you use amplitude panning between more than 2 (2D) or 3 (3D/VBAP) speakers, you could run into some trouble. Including pX-talk between more than 2 speakers in the horizont. plain... (same phantom source9

This might lead to quite messy ITD and ILD problems.

So I believe it could make a lot of sense to apply amplitude panning to the exact minimum amount of speakers you would need to produce some phantom image effect. Which means 2 speakers in the 2D case, 3 in the 3D case. Just to present some crude and rude ideas about "different panning strategies"... :-D

Best,

Stefan

On 10 January 2017 at 09:57, Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>