At 14:19 28-05-19, you wrote:
software between OSX and a Raspberry Pi. A possible solution would be,
as Bo Erik suggested, to stream 4-channel on a musticast wifi network,
then decode it on 4 RPIs (or similar boards), making sure they are in
sync (using PTP). This is on my long list of things to try, but I would
need  a specific project to kick-start this exploration. I'm in the
process of setting up a 4-channel system in my home office (using two
2.1 DIY "multimedia" system), so it's a good start. We could wait for
the industry to provide something usable, but it would be proprietary,
"professional", and expensive (because of the super-specific gold-plated
hardware, patents, shareholders, marketing, logos, slick web sites,
religious beliefs, etc). Also (who knows) maybe it's already possible to
do it using the jack2 software suite.

A commercial solution, were it available, would no doubt be even more expensive if it did not have audio compression built in.

I tell myself that it should not be too difficult to make decent hi-res transmit and receive modules. I could use these for links from spot mikes in concerts where these have to pass the audience to get to the recorder, and also between my monitor output and the four speakers I use. Getting rid of cables from the ground would be terrific in both situations; but I am not prepared to accept any degradation of the signal, particularly not any modification of the dynamic range.

I also would love to have a pair of headphones that are as good as my Sennheiser HD600 that manage to dispense with a cable that I trip over with monotonous regularity. (Though I must say that these headphone, which I have had for about 40 years, and which hit the floor many times a day, are remarkably robust.)

David