On 2022-09-17, Ralph Jones wrote:

But the subject is of real concern for me, because I am currently working in 5.1.4 surround format (channel-based, not Atmos) and I would dearly love to find a mac-compatible VST plugin that would convincingly render my work in binaural.

Hmm. Sursound has been a bit of a mathematicians' list for some time. Ambisonic and later on WFS. Adverse to the more usual x.y.z-sound-systems.

What if we now finally did some usable code or examples? Us fiends?

So, is there a plugin that does what Fons describes here? (i.e., given azimuth and elevation for each channel, render the signals to binaural convincingly, including an impression of elevation for height channels.)

You gave a channel arrangement. Or a speaker arrangement. That 5.1.4 arrangement sort of tells us what you have, or where, but not *precisely*. It doesn't tell at which precise angles or at which distances.

As such, it doesn't tell us how those various channels *sound* to a listener. Not precisely. So it's impossible to even start to render them into binaural. Also, you'd need to specify a model of your ears, which you didn't give. (The KEMAR-model is a model of ears, so I'd probably start with those. But they are not *your* ears, but a make-do average-sounding one. Plus the set is symmetrized, unlike anybodys real.)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2