Chris Woolf wrote:

Anyone any ideas how one could provide an audio horizon that could be a mimic of the gyro artificial horizon?

A vague thought, that applies only to a small amount of surround sound recordings.

I do mostly nature recordings and record also in urban areas, where the distant traffic hum is always present. The hum can be heard as a horizontal noise somewhere in the distance. Here in the north the distant traffic noise is also different in the winter and in the summer. We use studded tyres in the cars and they cause more high frequencies in the noise than unstudded tyres. Another thing that changes the sound scene in the winter is snow, it makes the general acoustics more dry and then
it is easier to detect the direction of single sound sources.

The problem is that a constant wide spectrum noise (the traffic hum) is more difficult
to localize than signals that have transient content.

Having said that, we _do_ localize an above flying jetplane, although it produces a noise type sound. We know from experience, that an aeroplane almost always is flying above us. But are we actively aware of the fact, that distant traffic hum appears as a zone above
the horizon?

Also, it would be somewhat strange to put artificially some kind of signal "beacons" at the horizon level around the listener, because they aren't part of the actual recording.

Eero