ICH4-M I think?  'lspci' says

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE
Controller (rev 03)

While 'dmesg' also claims:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ICH4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
ICH4: chipset revision 3
ICH4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

This is referred to in drivers/ide/pci/piix.c in the kernel source but
I'm not sure how to check that this is indeed the driver being used.

Actually a few more minutes research reveals that I do indead have
this driver loaded as a (permanent?) module:

piix                    9092  0 [permanent]
ide_core              115900  3 ide_cd,piix,ide_disk

Your patch was at the more general level of the ide drivers so do you
have any idea why it didn't work on this particular driver?

thanks,
Sheer