Hi,

I think you're right Stefan, this is very possibly a hard disk timeout
issue because even after suspend wakes up I can run a few commands,
even accessing the hard disk, but then after another few seconds if I
try to access the hard-disk the command will block (the machine does
not freeze, just that particular command blocks) for another minute or
so and then finally comes back to life.  This happens only on s2ram
not when I suspend to disk.  The very strange thing is that it
sometimes takes a few seconds for it to happen.  Right when I come
back form suspend I try an 'ls' and it works but if I keep doing it
for a few times then eventually it will hang at some point and I'll
have to wait for the disk to spin up (which I can sometimes here).
This is pretty consistent but there are times when I haven't noticed
it happen.

I've switched back to my old kernel right now (stock SUSE 10.1 -
2.6.16) so I don't have data from the newest kernel (though this
happened on that kernel as well) but here's what I get in dmesg after
this happens:

hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hda: DMA timeout error
hda: dma timeout error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.35
DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=107 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=87
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
ide0: reset: success

Any idea how/why this happens and if it can be worked around?  Do I
need to change an hdparm setting?

Thanks,
Sheer