On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:40:19PM +0200, Sheer El-Showk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think you're right Stefan, this is very possibly a hard disk timeout
> issue because even after suspend wakes up I can run a few commands,
> even accessing the hard disk, but then after another few seconds if I
> try to access the hard-disk the command will block (the machine does
> not freeze, just that particular command blocks) for another minute or
> so and then finally comes back to life.  This happens only on s2ram
> not when I suspend to disk.  The very strange thing is that it
> sometimes takes a few seconds for it to happen.  Right when I come
> back form suspend I try an 'ls' and it works but if I keep doing it
> for a few times then eventually it will hang at some point and I'll
> have to wait for the disk to spin up (which I can sometimes here).
> This is pretty consistent but there are times when I haven't noticed
> it happen.

Yes, it seems the disk is not waken up properly :-(

> I've switched back to my old kernel right now (stock SUSE 10.1 -
> 2.6.16) so I don't have data from the newest kernel (though this
> happened on that kernel as well) but here's what I get in dmesg after

The latest suse kernel probably won't help much here, it would be more
interesting to test the very latest and greatest from Linus (2.6.18rcX)
or even a -mm kernel, if you are able to.

> this happens:
>
> hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
> hda: DMA timeout error
> hda: dma timeout error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
> hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
> SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.35
> DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=107 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
> SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=87
> hda: lost interrupt
> hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
> hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
> ide0: reset: success
>
> Any idea how/why this happens and if it can be worked around?  Do I
> need to change an hdparm setting?

Sorry, this is more for the IDE experts, i fear, i have basically no idea
about this lowlevel stuff.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."