Sorry to say that it doesn't seem to help much on my laptop.  I
installed 2.6.18-rc3 with your patch (I even checked the code to see
that the patch got implemented) and tried s2ram from the console and
suspend still took noticably long.  Moreover, when I got back a prompt
I tried and 'ls' and the machine blocked for another 20 secs or so
until I heard the disk whir up and got some output.  I saved the
output of a 'dmesg' in case it might be useful (this looks very
similar to what I get on the stock kernel):

 da: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hda: DMA timeout error
hda: dma timeout error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hda: lost interrupt
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
hda: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE
ide0: reset: success

Is this a similar problem to what you were having on your laptop
before the patch?  Would you expect your patch to work for me or do
you think its an unrelated problem?  Whatever it is I definately have
an issue with the disk taking a long time to wake up after a suspend.

thanks,
Sheer