On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:17:26AM +0200, Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger wrote:

> Patch attached. Before you suspend, please run
> # dmesg|grep -C5 radeon
> and save it somewhere. There should be a line
> "radeonfb: Acer test detected, enabling workaround"

It's there.

EXT3 FS on hda6, internal journal
EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
Adding 1951888k swap on /dev/hda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1951888k
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
radeonfb: Retrieved PLL infos from BIOS
radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=6) Memory=390.00 Mhz, System=200.00 MHz
radeonfb: PLL min 20000 max 35000
Non-DDC laptop panel detected
radeonfb: Monitor 1 type LCD found
radeonfb: Monitor 2 type no found
radeonfb: panel ID string: CMO Color LCD

radeonfb: detected LVDS panel size from BIOS: 1280x800
radeondb: BIOS provided dividers will be used
radeonfb: Dynamic Clock Power Management enabled
radeonfb: Acer test detected, enabling workaround
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x50
radeonfb (0000:01:00.0): ATI Radeon NP

> If so, try suspending and resuming. It should Just Work(tm).

In fact, it does; from the console and from X both. Kudos, sir - I'm
impressed (and just tickled pink, too!) The two "unfixable" bugs of this
laptop from the very beginning have been its audio (which refuses to
initialize on occasion, and requires *removing the battery* plus a cold
boot to cure!) and its inability to suspend; within a couple of days,
your work and the advice of others here appear to have fixed the latter.
Thank you very much.

> Warning: It may look like your screen "melts" for up to two seconds
> while suspending. This is nothing to worry about and usually only
> happens on the second and subsequent suspend cycles.

Doesn't appear to happen here, even after several cycles. On suspend,
the GUI flips to a message console that scrolls several USB-related
lines and shuts off (about 1.5 seconds total.) On resume, there's a
'switch to graphical mode' blink, a flash of that message console, a
very short "low-res" flash of the X screen, and it comes back to the
normal display (2-2.5 seconds total.)

> Suspend and resume should be fast, it takes my machine about 2 seconds
> to perform each of them. If your machine needs more time (especially
> while melting the screen), something is wrong.
>
> Oh, and please suspend with
> # echo mem >/sys/power/state
> at least while you're testing.

That's what I've been using, although I've tried 's2ram -f' at least
twice (it appears to work just fine.)

Regards,
* Ben Okopnik * Editor-in-Chief, Linux Gazette * http://LinuxGazette.NET *