On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:25:57PM +0200, Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger wrote:
> Benjamin A. Okopnik wrote:
> >
> > Having recompiled the 2.16.18 kernel to include 'radeonfb' and after
> > rerunning 'lilo' with 'vga=0' in "/etc/lilo.conf", I've tested several
> > variations of what happens when booting with 'init=/bin/bash". The
> > result: pretty much any combination of options results in a lock-up -
> > some are *really* hard (require using the power switch to break out),
> > while most will actually respond to Alt-Ctrl-Del (although not to any
> > other keystrokes.)
>
> If I understand your description correctly, radeonfb itself works and
> automatically finds the correct resolution (you should need no command
> line parameter for it except maybe vga=0).

Exactly. I simply added it to '/etc/modules', set "vga=0" in lilo.conf
and reran 'lilo', and it Just Worked. I'll have to figure out how to get
my little boot-logo Tux back, but this is slightly less than a
life-or-death priority. :)

> That lockup on resume is a
> good sign, if you believe it or not.

Excellent - it's nice to know that I managed to break it the right way!

> I need the following from you:
>
> lspci -nv -s 01:00.0

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ su -c 'lspci -nv -s 01:00.0'
Password:
01:00.0 0300: 1002:4e50 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: 1025:0061
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 16
        Memory at a8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at c100 [size=256]
        Memory at e0010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at a0000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

> Then I can proceed to prepare a patch which you can test.

I'll be more than happy to help. Given the number of responses to the
Acer-config-HOWTO I wrote a few years back, there are a lot of people
out there suffering^Wusing these laptops.

Regards,
* Ben Okopnik * Editor-in-Chief, Linux Gazette * http://LinuxGazette.NET *