On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Been there, done that, no I do not think it worked. See
> > > Doc*/power/video.txt.
> >
> > Well, IMHO, the current system doesn't seem to work very well either,
> > because
> > there are machines that we _can't_ whitelist, _although_ they work.
>
> Put them in documentation, then.

or into hal-info.

>  > Worse yet,
> > we have some machines whitelisted, while there are some in the wild that are
> > identified in the same way and don't work or require some other combination
> > of options.

> But giving up and just placing everything into video.txt is not a
> solution. Re-reading video.txt each time I move to new machine is
> seriously unfunny. (Been there, done that, don't want to go there again).

Oh, come on. I will create a script called "get-s2ram-options-from-hal.sh",
i promise :-)

I don't care too much. Distributions simply will not take the s2ram whitelist,
and switch to the HAL based whitelist, just because it is easier to maintain.
And there will be lots of entries in the HAL list, that you cannot easily
put into s2ram.c, so the databases will differ. To avoid that and the
associated bugreports, the whitelist.c will probably just look like that

struct machine_entry whitelist[] = {
        { NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, 0 }
}

in the distro packages.

Users will suffer, and the user experience will be bad. This is probably a
bit exaggerated ;-), but i generally think this is what will happen.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."