On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:56:45 +0100
Stefan Seyfried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:21:16PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > I can't see how people can `depend' on it. Especially since this is
> > > only in CVS since a few days. Also libx86 isn't in CVS anymore so they
> > > will have to get it anyway. The only difference is that instead of
> > > typing two times cd XXX and make && make install, they only do that once.
> >
> > Hm, I think I misunderstood the issue.
> >
> > Can anyone please explain to me what the current situation is and why it may
> > be a good idea to change it (or not)?
>
> One problem people might hit is that, depending on the distro packaging, they
> might pick up libx86 with x86emu enabled, even though they run on x86 hardware
> (which should, in theory, work just fine, but well, you never know).

This would then be a bug in the packaging of the distro then.

> Another possible problem might be dynamic linking vs static linking. Up to
> now we always linked x86emu objects directly into s2ram. Dynamically linking
> against system wide installed libx86 might turn up new bugs. The "embedded"
> libx86 stuff in the Makefile does static linking.

I don't think this would matter much, but heh, I lack the the knowledge too ;)

> These are the main points why i did it as it is, to avoid any regressions.
> I personally, probably simply from lack of knowledge ;-) don't have a strong
> opinion on how to do it "right".

I'm not claiming that I've did it right, but I've made a patch that
changes the Makefile a bit to make it more 'clean'. Could you take a
look if you approve it. It is in the reply to Rafael.

grts Tim