On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:21:16PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > I can't see how people can `depend' on it. Especially since this is
> > only in CVS since a few days. Also libx86 isn't in CVS anymore so they
> > will have to get it anyway. The only difference is that instead of
> > typing two times cd XXX and make && make install, they only do that once.
>
> Hm, I think I misunderstood the issue.
>
> Can anyone please explain to me what the current situation is and why it may
> be a good idea to change it (or not)?

One problem people might hit is that, depending on the distro packaging, they
might pick up libx86 with x86emu enabled, even though they run on x86 hardware
(which should, in theory, work just fine, but well, you never know).

Another possible problem might be dynamic linking vs static linking. Up to
now we always linked x86emu objects directly into s2ram. Dynamically linking
against system wide installed libx86 might turn up new bugs. The "embedded"
libx86 stuff in the Makefile does static linking.

These are the main points why i did it as it is, to avoid any regressions.
I personally, probably simply from lack of knowledge ;-) don't have a strong
opinion on how to do it "right".
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"