On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > (yes, i think i know what it does; writing 1 into the state of the
> > framebuffer device just disables any drawing - and thus any access
> > of possibly not really initialized hardware before running vbe_post
> > etc...)
> > At least it seemed to do no harm in my (limited) tests.
>
> I think it can go if
> (1) it doesn't break any setups that currently work

We will know after the next openSUSE alpha release, where i will have
unleashed that patch onto the unexpecting guinea pigs^W^WopenSUSE users ;-)
If i don't get a wave of bugreports, than i'll assume that it is safe.

Theoretically we could "protect" it by another quirk-flag, but i'd rather
try to avoid that.

I will also go through the kernel code and check if anything can go wrong.
Echoing "1" into the state file simply makes the text console "freeze" (but
apparently it is still doing stuff in the background, you can still output
text etc, you just won't see it). Echoing "0" will make it paint the current
screen contents. At least that was what happened in my experiments.

> (2) it fixes at least one box that currently doesn't work

Yes, the user in the bugreport is a happy camper now :-) (he does not have
the s2ram code right now, but uses the script equivalent, but unless i have
put a bug into the C code, it should be equivalent).
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)