Hello Pavel, list,

Today I did some extensive testing with both i386 and amd64 in the X61s.
The results are somewhat surprising (yes, to me too).
First: I currently use BIOS version 1.06 (the newest Lenovo currently
offers). When I started testing, and when I sent you the first e-mail, I
used version 1.01. With that version other settings were needed for suspend.

Currently I think for amd64 "s2ram -f -m" works best. "s2ram -f -a1"
also seems to work.

For i386 the situation is a bit more complicated; as I said, I have
issues with getting the backlight back on after suspend. Basically this
problem exists with all parameters I tested. "s2ram -f -m" which works
for amd64, doesn't seem to work for i386 (no backlight).
"s2ram -f -a1" seems to yield the best results. So far I've had it back
from suspend in all cases (9 tries).

Over all "s2ram -f -a1" seems to be the one that "always" works.
Ah yes, I'm currently using kernel 2.6.22.1

If you need me to do more testing, please tell me.

cheers,

Hendrik-Jan

Pavel Machek wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 07:44:10PM +0200, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
>>> I just tested the following:
>>>
>>> Sidux 2007-2 (tartaros), amd64 on live cd.
>>> I loaded it to ram and installed uswsusp.
>>> next I did: "s2ram -f -m -a3", three times.
>>> Every time the machine suspended correctly and woke up again on touching
>>> the "Fn" button.
>>>
>>> Does this help?
>> Yes, sort of :-) If you could test if it also works on x86_64 with plain
>> "s2ram -f -a3" (without "-m") since "-a2" and "-m" _should_ be redundant.
>>
>> I am this picky because i only recently realized that (some?) 64bit thinkpads
>> only resume with "-a1 -m" and do not correctly resume with "-a 3", which
>> means that part of the initialization must be run in the kernel (-a 1,
>> POSTing
>> of the card) and part of it must be run in userspace ("-m", the re-setting of
>> the VESA mode), which sounds strange, especially as running the POST from
>> userspace ("-p -m") did _not_ work. So what i'm trying is to find a pattern,
>> because up to the 64bit processors, almost all thinkpads worked just fine
>> with
>> "-a 3" (and most still do, as long as they are running 32bit code).
>
> Hmm, yes, I guess I want to now. So you have thinkpad that is broken
> with -a1 -m, in 64-bit mode only? And no other differences? (Like,
> same kernel framebuffer driver, both time from console?)
>
>                                                               Pavel

- --
Publieke GnuPG sleutel beschikbaar op de volgende keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu
Public GnuPG key available at keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu