Hi Keith,

Are you trying to prove or disprove my point(s)?

The fact that the US infrastructure is no longer
sufficient to handle the current traffic efficiently
does not disprove the statements from my previous post
you chose to include in your post. I suppose that we
should raise our gas tax a dime or so a gal.. to allow
us to upgrade...but as you may have noticed our
economy is having a tough go currently...and the time
to do so may have passed.

Maybe I should not have spoken up. It seems to upset
some people that I do not subscribe to blanket
statements about a stereotype "American" that drive
huge gas guzzling SUVs. I must admit that the
statement in a previous post about Americans needing a
good bashing upside our heads did piss me off. In
retrospect I should not have responded as it did not
deserve a response.

By the, many of the people I know that drive gas
guzzlers do so because they are the only autos they
can afford to buy....used. I am sure that many more
affluent folks also drive thier larger than normally
needed pickups and suvs so they can tow thier boats,
travel trailers, etc. When faced with buying a second
car they choose a "workhorse". Many in MN own suvs for
thier all wheel drive and high ground
clearance...which comes in mighty handy during the
winter months heavy snows.

I am equally sure that some simply want to drive
something large because they feel safer (ACCORDING TO
A NEW SAFETY STUDY THE JOKE IS ON THEM)or just want to
show off their affulence. These are not the average
American.
I stand by my previous statement about the
requirements of a country with such vast distances
over which people and things must be transported and
the difficulty of those that live in a more compact
continent to understand this. I am sorry if some have
a difficult time accepting this point of veiw.

Dana Linscott

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/05/07/traffic.cities/index.html