murdoch wrote:

> >In our area of central New York state, one of the large super market chains
> >claims
> >they are getting paid for their WVO. Another one in town is tossing the 4.5
> >gal of
> >WVO in the dumpster
>
> A year or two ago it seemed to me there was a story in the NY Times about New
> York City Restauraunts illegally (some of them) dumping their waste in the
> sewers, mucking up the works.  Not that this is the same issue, but aren't
> there
> any regs against putting such waste in the dumpsters in such amounts?
>
> >(I'm working on them, hoping they'll let me take it instead).
> >The local Walmart is being charged, but won't let me take it because of fear
> >of
> >liability issues. I haven't checked the local fast food chains.
> >
> >It seems best to deal with locally owned private, non franchise stores and
> >restaurants for their WVO, thereby saving them the 40 cents U.S. (on
> >average) per
> >gallon they are charged by the renderers. Every dollar saved helps toward
> >their
> >bottom line.
> >
> >Chris
>
> I'm not sure what a renderer is, but my angle is different than some others'.

Companies who collect the waste fats and oils who then supposedly process them
into
usable comodities. (Hopefully not just landfilling the stuff.)

> My angle would be as a trouble-maker for the big guys who are needlessly doing
> the wrong thing.  So, it would be less important to me to know of how to buy
> it
> from small guys in my own community than to know of specific large companies
> who
> are needlessly mucking up the works (literally) by not availing themselves of
> the most enlightened possible policies (not to mention costing their
> shareholders money by paying others to haul it away, rather than getting full
> value for it).

I'm going to look into any possible laws on the books concerning dumping of the
waste
oil in the dumpsters to be landfilled. It would seem that that practice would
muck up
the works, adding cost to the purification of the leachate glop coming out of
our
county landfills.

> If a company like McDonald's or Burger King, for example, does not have
> enlightened policies in place, or has not put test programs in place with all
> possible earnestness, then this needs to be brought to light.
>
> It's always hard to bring the waste-to-useful-product angle to light, but it
> has
> to be done, I think.

You're absolutely right. They need to be dragged, kicking and screaming into
doing the
right thing.

> Thx for the response, I should add, it is part of the picture I was looking
> for.

You're welcome.

Chris

Plan to Sell a Home?