On Sunday, October 6, 2002, at 06:04  PM, murdoch wrote:

> The political "capital" to be gained by politicians embracing and
> pushing for this is significant.  We have not only
> 2.  improving waste-disposal

First we should make sure that waste feedstocks are a full peer of
virgin feedstocks.  The texts of some recent bills in the U.S. Senate
(S.1942, S.1979) and House (H.R.4843) define "biodiesel" as:

"The term 'biodiesel'  means the monoalkyl esters of long chain fatty
acids derived from virgin vegetable oils for use in
compressional-ignition (diesel) engines. Such term shall include esters
derived from vegetable oils from corn, soybeans, sunflower seeds,
cottonseeds, canola, crambe, rapeseeds, safflowers, flaxseeds, rice
bran, and mustard seeds."

The bills in question propose tax incentives for biodiesel producers and
buyers.  It doesn't sound like WVO- or animal-derived biodiesel is
actually illegal to produce or sell, but certainly the tax advantages
seem centered around virgin oils.

Not sure of the status of these bills--I guess I didn't pay enough
attention in school to interpret the records on thomas.loc.gov!

Thanks all, these are great discussions.

Dan Hale, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM