On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 20:43:27 +0100, you wrote:

>Well Steve,
>
>The crackers as you call them are calling themselves hackers and the
>last 8 years they have been identified as hackers.

Indeed.  I wonder if this clear line that Steve paints is not always
observed by all hackers, so that they *never* break in to others'
systems?  The hacker with whom I spoke had, at one time, been one of
the world's more notorious crackers.  Ultimately many of his
acquaintances and friends went to prison.  But when I spoke to him he
was more or less a "hacker", as he had tended to have less disrespect
for systems and had ended up a more productive person.

There may be "good" hackers who never break in to anyone else's system
or what some would *call* themselves "good" hackers (who might break
in but do no mischief beyond that) and "bad" hackers (who might do any
amount of mischief and who should be called crackers but are often
mixed with hackers by the press).

I understand that the term itself (hacking) originally had zero
negative connotation, but I wonder if the line is always observed as
meticulously as the "good" hackers observe it, and whether all the
supposedly "good" hackers "never" break in to others' systems.