>This is criminal and not a "practical joke". I could track them down to
>ISP, connection port and exact time. The ISP could clearly identify
>the connection and customer. I reported this vandalism to the
>ISP and police. To fix it, it took me 3 hours, so I forwarded a claim
>of $225. I also took another bulletin board, so this supplier lost
>business.

It's a bit of a twist in topic, but a few years ago when this was a
more front-page story here in the States, somehow I recall the topic
coming up of the FBI's efforts against cybercrimes, and I believe they
had some sort of dollar-threshold which would allow them to bother to
follow up, if you reported to them that damage had been done.

Disgusting, I think, to think that your rights can be protected only
if and when you can tell them that the damage to your life exceeds x
amount of money.  What the hell are we paying taxes for?  If there are
more such crimes than they have resources to investigate, then they
ought be granted more resources, IMO.

MM