I'm glad to find some agreement on this, as it was obviously not a
good experience for me (losing everything because I thought I'd take
drastic measures to try to prevent losing everything).

There are so many good softwares that have been tried and-or half
tried.  I used to be a geos enthusiast of sorts (now newdealinc.com
last I looked) but they were too stupid to market it as a downloadable
DOS and Windows Office Suite, which would have helped it cream MS
Office, instead insisting on touting its OS potentialities to the
exlusion of other stuff.  Now it seems like it's been an irrelevancy
for 10 years, but who knows, maybe they'll help revive old 486s or
less.  I mean, how much power does one need to store an address
spreadsheet?

But Linux doesn't seem to be going away, nor Apple.  I'm just
surprised that MS still seems to be getting such dollars for their
Office Suite.  What for?  I understand the OS trap, but there are
great office suites out there for nearly nothing.