Thanks Hakan for this very interesting view on
biofuels!
But may I give you some impression fo the german
point of view?
First of all you did not mention Methanol,
Fischer-Tropsch-Fuels (FT-fuels) and Biogas.
Ethanol is not discussed in Germany probably of
the lack of agricultural aera.
I will not talk about Methanol because I think it
will not have any chance.
So what about FT-fuels? This fuel is promoted in
Germany by federal institutions and by the
automobil industry - namely DC and VW. This
medium-term opportunity needs no chances in the
motors, it can be made from every organic material
but it needs bigger productions sites. On the
other hand it is very energy intensive in
production and the technology is still in
development. Here a big discussion is going on.
Biogas also now is in the discussion: cleaned and
enriched up to Natural Gas and bringing it to a
filling station or feeding it into a gas pipeline
may be an interesting thing. This is already done
in Sweden and Switzerland. There are cars driving
with NG, many new NG filling stations will be
built in nearest future, the liberalisation of the
EU Gas market is in progress and the technology is
available. The fraction of NG cars will increase.
Producing electricity from biogas in Germany is
economically very interesting because of a refund
assured by law. And biogas can be produced in very
small units.
Biodiesel does not have the best reputation cause
of the problems of monocultures. But it takes 0,55
% of the fuel market in Germany.
So these are some points what is in the discussion
in Germany. But Germany is not the biggest country
although it has the most people in the Europe. A
unique solution can only be found within Europe,
here Ethanol might be leading.
Another thing is the opening of the EU towards the
east, with it big aeras of land and cheap labor.

So, this is a little input - hastily written.

Greetings

Daniel

Hakan Falk schrieb:
> Hi Keith and others,
>
> I am now close to publish,
> http://energy.saving.nu/biofuels/biofuelorg.shtml
> I am still insecure about "Ethanol, big or small?" and will probably take
> this as a separate issue all together. Politics and perceptions are very
> important for a business, so I am not sure yet. Please look at it and give
> me your comments, both good and bad.
>
> Hakan

> If you want to take a look on a project
> that is very close to my heart, go to:
> http://energysavingnow.com/
> http://hakan.vitools.net/ My .Net Card
> http://hakan.vitools.org/ About me
> http://vitools.com/ My webmaster site
> "A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to
> how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn't the world
> being round that agitated people, but that the world
> wasn't flat. When a well-packaged web of lies has
> been sold to the masses over generations, the truth
> will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving
> lunatic."  -- Dresden James
>
> "No flag is large enough to cover the shame of
> killing innocent people" -- Howard Zinn
>
> "Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
> We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may
> wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm
> wrinkles the soul." - Unknown

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Mit freundlichen Gr٤en

Daniel West

Zentrum fŸr Sonnenenergie- und
Wasserstoff-Forschung (ZSW)
Regenerative Kraftstoffe und Verfahren (REG)
Center of Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research
Renewable Fuels and Processes

Netzwerk "Regenerative Kraftstoffe" - ReFuelNet

Dipl.-Ing. Daniel West

Hessbruehlstra§e 21C, D-70565 Stuttgart

Tel.: ++49-711-7870-249 / Fax: -200
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]