--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> don't know about the gm's, but we used ether in sub zero temps to
start our
> big trucks every morning. just a quick shot in the breather to get
it
> turning. most starters can be overrun, so it may have been a fluke
in your
> issue.

    Big Truck Diesels don't have Glow Plugs. His Suburban 6.5 does.
NEVER use Starting Fluid and Glow Plugs at the same time! Glow Plugs
with #2 Diesel Fuel are good to about 10F, without a block heater.
You may be able to start down to 0F with #1 Diesel Fuel. Colder than
that, you will need heat or Starting Fluid. -20F or colder will need
both heat and Starting Fluid.

Most Loggers in my area have a Hydraulic Hose quick-coupler inline
in  the Heater hose on their pickup engine. When starting cold
Diesels, you pull up close, and couple connecting hoses to the engine
from the heater on the pickup, and usually jumper cables to warm up
the batteries. Within 20 minutes the Diesel is at operating temp
without being started or cranked. It then starts easily without undue
wear and tear on the starter. Watch the Oil Pressure Gauge! If no
pressure reading within 30 seconds, shut it off, and heat the Oil pan
with a Propane Torch until the Oil is thinned enough for the Oil Pump
to pick it up. Synthetic Engine Oils are a wonderful invention and
well worth the extra cost for extreme cold starting.
 Many Loggers don't work when the temp is below -20F, and few work if
it is -40F. Productivity is down, and maintainance costs can go way
up.

Motie

Rent DVDs Online-No late fees! Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XfSp7B/XlOFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM