From: Bryan Fullerton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 19:50
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] cold weather starting - No starting fluid!

Of Course the manuals say not to use ether along with other legal jargon and
this is exactly why they say not to use it. Because they can't regulate HOW
people use it. You think they want to have to do warranty work because
someone else screwed up? If you dont understand how ether/startingfluid
works you shouldn't be using it.
Had his engine been cranking faster 1 of 2 things different would have
happened:
1. More then likely his engine would have started without the use of the
ether. Cranking speed is critical in a diesel because the air is compressed
which creates heat. This Hot Dense air is suppose to fire the fuel but in a
cold engine it can quickly dissipate the heat to the cylinder walls, head,
and piston. You might not think so but this can happen incredibly fast. Go
ahead and experiment with a stirling cycle engine and you will see what I
mean. Its this property in fact that makes the stirling engine work.

2. Had it been cranking faster with a bit less starting fluid the rotating
mass would have carried over and at least some of the energy would have
propelled the engine in the right direction. I have seen diesels crank slow
enough that basically the cylinder was losing most of its heat(therefore
some of the pressure in the cylinder resisting the starter) before the
piston came TDC. A gas engine can do this and still start but a diesel
can't. Your chance of starting a slow cold cranking diesel is practically
nil. back in those days I didn't have an RPM guage so I cant really give
numbers but I would have to say as a rule of thumb, if you can hear the
engine hesitate, even a little bit, on each cylinder then your in trouble.

You can get by with crappy batteries in a gas car for some time if you dont
have any engine problems but not so in a diesel. Again this is just drawn
from my personal experiance of owning diesels and rebuilding and assisting
others with their diesels. I love hopping up diesel engines to double their
horsepower and what not. Diesels have even been used on the drag strip. Ever
see 600 some horsepower from an old 6.2? Some crazy guy did it but I dont
think you could call him pollution concious.

Bryan Fullerton
White Knight Gifts
www.youcandobusiness.com