It is a very loud engine.  One thing about them is if anything (i.e. broken
keyway) happens to the positive displacement roots type blower (not the turbos)
it will not start or even run.  We have had this problem with the engine in our
dump truck.  In a truck that doesnt bother me, but on the water I'd be nervous.
 But first, they are LOUD engines with that blower screaming.  During my US
Navy years they were trying hard to get away from them since there were alot of
better applications out there.

Regards,
Terry Wilhelm

Jack Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a question for any mechanic-types out there - particularly marine-diesel
familiars.  I am thinking about purchasing a 40 foot diesel work boat for a
combined aquculture and dive operation and I am wondering if any knows about:
1 - this engine in particular:  General Motors 8V71 twin turbo rated at 450 HP?
 I know that GM has had some trouble with diesel engines in the past just
wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge pertaining to this model in
particular.
2 - Special considerations for using biodiesel in marine applications?
Thanks for the help.
Best,
Jack
Jack Kenworthy