on 6/18/03 1:48 AM, mark schofield at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a passing thought. Vacuum recovered methanol
> at 50mBar boils at around 15-20'C. The water
> content ought to be quite low but methanol forms
> an azeotrope with water. Therefore, if the
> recovered methanol were mixed with CaO (quick
> lime) to remove the water content the soap
> producing element ie water plus Na+ ions and FFA,
> could be reduced.

You may be thinking of ethanol, which forms an
azeotrope with water. Methanol does not, meaning
that it IS possible to achieve 100% by (fractional)
distillation alone. However, simple distillation will
carry over a portion of the water present, tho always
less in the vapor than in the liquid below. I would
recommend molecular sieve rather than CaO to remove
the residual water from the methanol, if for some
reason you can't construct an adequate fractionating
column.     -K

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM