There';s been a great series in Home Power magazine in the last few
issues about domestic soolar hot water, including some heat exchange
stuff.  It's a good primer to what we're doing with heat exchangers.

That said, most heat exchangers are made of copper, which we should
stay away from for biodiesel processing as it decreases storage
stability of the product (in a few hours of contact when heated I
believe). Use stainless steel if possible )I got some stainless tubing
designed as a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger, from a specialty
refrigeration application). On the other hand most homebrewers don't
have biodiesel sitting around (other than Pieter who stores his for a
year before using) for long periods of time so maybe that's not as big
of an issue. We usualy just don't produce all that much of it at once
so in our area at least (where there's a homebrewer community and high
demand!) it tends to get used up fairly rapidly.

 When biodiesel breaks down over time some of the byproducts released
include acids (acetic and formic I believe) which can do some serious
damage to fuel injection equipment. ONe of themoderators of
biodieselnow.com just had a very expensive injection pump failure
which looked like rust formation. This was with improperly stored
commercial World Energy (ie soy, I believe in his area) biodiesel.
There's no way to know for sure but this is definitely a possibility
if you're running stuff that starts to break down. The other storage
stability issue is polymerisation which is more like running
improperly designed SVO, so you want to avoid both of these problems.
I can't remember offhand which problem copper catalyses (I think it's
oxidation), so sorry I don' thave better information.

mark

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511