Hi Martin

>Keith Addison wrote:
>
> >As I understand it (which could well be full of holes) a thermostat
> >works as I described it above, a rheostat simply adjusts the power
> >supply, lower or higher, and stays as you set it. The one is
> >constantly changing, switching on and off, surges up and down, the
> >other's constant, less action, less stress on everything, more
> >reliable. If that's not right, please correct. Electrickery isn't
> >exactly my strong point, I don't dream in volts and amps, need all
> >the help I can get (and am duly grateful). They say it's just like
> >plumbing, and I suppose it is at first, but that doesn't get you very
> >far, nor far enough before the analogy breaks down.
> >

>You are correct, Keith.

I got something electrickerly correct?? Funny... it says "Wed." up
there in the corner of the screen, but it's not in red letters...

>A rheostat can be more reliable and easier, but more costly (the
>reliability/ease/cost triangle)
>
>reliable + easy = will not be cheap
>easy + cheap = will not be reliable
>cheap + reliable = will not be easy

That's good!

>of course you've probably seen this:
>
>good + quick = will not be cheap
>quick + cheap = will not be good
>cheap + good = will not be quick

Yes, that's good too.

>aka inverse relationship

Every silver lining has a cloud, eh?

>I always go for the third option,

Me too.

>maybe that's why I never get anything
>completed.

But you do, and so do I - well, dunno about completed, when will
things like infoarchive.net and Journey to Forever ever be completed?
Should they ever be completed?

>cheap + good = will not be quick

How does that apply to infoarchive.net? Free is cheap enough, being
streets ahead of the monster Yahoo's pathetic efforts makes it good
(I really HATE it the one or two days a year when it's down), and
it's definitely quick. You've spent some money on it I know, but
there's a lot of money you didn't spend too, right?

So what are we to conclude from this? That perhaps every silver
lining has a silver lining?

>I digress...

So do I. But so what.

:-)