> Tom Leue said the thermostat failed, so it wasn't an open-flame heat
> source but electrical heating. If anything, a rheostat would be
> better than a thermostat. Thermostats keep switching the power on
and
> off to keep the temperature ranging as little as possible either
side
> of what you're aiming at, which puts a strain on everything
> concerned, IMO. A rheostat, once set, won't do that.

Actually, there's no problem with thermostats causing a more dangerous
condition than other heaters (I don' t understand why a rheostat would
work differently). There are lots of possibilities of equipment
failure when you work with electric anything. The solution is ... a
thermostat, and doublechecking what you're assuming the automated
system will do. My cheapish thermometer is a mechanical
automotive-type temp gauge. They come with a variety of adaptors for
threadinginto pipe thread fittings- so even if you're weldless, you
put a tee in the line before your pump, and when you're ready to check
the temp, you run your pump for a minute to get the temperature strata
intermixed.

Cheap automation is great. I use  heavyduty timers a lot, use cheap
timers for bubblewashing, and now use thermostats for processors. But
I always assume that they're fallable, I doublecheck everything, and I
try and have something in place in case it does fail (like
containment, closed systems, doublechecking temperature, etc...)

UNfortunately I know that Tom took the same Iowa State University
course as I and many others here have done-= and that they certainly
DID cover all the safety issues that have been raised here by everyone
here. The course also included a section on safety which suggested
doing a survey of your plant where you try and identify EVERYTHING
that could possibly go wrong and come up with a strategy for dealing
with it if it does. common-sense stuff that I think most people do
anyway.

> >(I'm particularly interested if this would work for
> >any rendition of the Foolproof method my Aleks Kac.)
>

> Anyway, the first stage of the acid-base method needs the temp
> maintained for an hour, but the second stage for 1.5-2.5 hours,
maybe
> not so easy just on pre-heating.

I did fine with ALeks' method in wintertime (well a california winter)
working outdoors, with my Michelin Man bubblewrapped processors- the
insulation can maintain that temp if there's enough of it. ONe of the
things I worried about with this method was that it looked like higher
energy use- but it didn't add up to much once I installed loads of

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ybSovB/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/FGYolB/TM