William,

A picture of a "closed loop" heat exchanger doesn't require much
imagination.

Picture the following in a circular loop:

A liquid resevoir (1/2 gallon, sometimes more, maybe less, depending upon
need) heated by your fuel of choice, and a method of circulation (pump or
convection) that continually cycles the fluid in a loop. An appropriate
pressure release ("vent") is installed should over pressurization occur from
a heat source that has gone or is erratic.

I suppose the term "open" or "closed" has more to do with the transfer
medium, with air type exchangers (such as those installed in the exhaust
stream of wood stoves) being considered an "open" exchange and those where
the medium is liquid being "closed."

The "loop" fraction of the description would come from the medium
continually being recycled, reducing the amount of heat needed to be
transferred in order to recharge the system to a level that a "requisite"
amount of heat in turn be exchanged.

Intake on the plenum of a central heat or cooling unit might be considered
"closed loop."

Todd Swearingen