The acid/base catalysis used for biofuel production looks like 1940's
chemistry - 55 gallon drums, KOH, etc.  The polymer industry,
specifically polymer polyols to make urethanes used this type of
chemistry.  I know this because I worked at one of the top urethane
suppliers R&D process development group in the mid 90's.  We were
reacting ethylene oxide and propylene oxide to make polymer polyols,
similar Sn2 chemistry.  Instead of using KOH as a catalyst we were
working towards using a tetracyanocobaltate compound as a catalyst.
The polymer polyol had to be cleaned of any K+ after reacting because
it would kill the next step, so a resin (Magnasol, as I remember) was
used to clean it out.  The magnasol was landfilled after use.  The
process using the tetracyanocobaltate compound eliminated the need to
remove K+, so nothing was dumped in the landfill.  It was all going
well, and the company started ramping up a continuous process,
winning contracts and making more money, then Lyondell bought our
division and Bayer a short time after.  To make a long story short, I
don't think the catalyst is being used - lost in the buyouts.  When
Bayer bought us out all our PC's were sent to germany and replaced
with much older pc's, and our equipment went as well.  Then everybody
was let go as Bayer screwed up our contracts with 3M, ford, toyota,
etc.  Amazing how quickly a 6 billion annual business can be ruined
by bean counters.
Is anyone on the list looking into post-WW II chemistry as a method
for producing biofuels?  I found one article on xeolites, but that
was it.  A lot of money is being spent on scaling the reaction up,
but I don't see too much development being done on a better method.
I think the kinetic studies are a good place to start.  Enzymes look
promising, but not a real solution for the 3rd world.  I read an
article on supercritical production without using a catalyst.  Not
too promising as hastaloid is super expensive and the reaction didn't
behave too much better, still needed alot of heat.  There has been
alot of money spent on polymer catalysts, perhaps one of these could
be used in biofuel production.

Just a thought.

--Mike

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511