Good to know someone out there is doing some good science.  Anyone
working on the alcoholysis/transesterification step?

Also, another thing that we did to meet product specifications
was "blend and send".  Making alot of base material the quick and
dirty way, and blending in some super high grade stuff, performing
analysis along the way until we met the base product spec.  The end
results varied, so we came up with different product names for the
same product, the only difference was how good it was after the
blending.  This stratagy might help in recovering batches that are
slightly sub-par.

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Walt Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 09:39 PM 11/17/03 +0000, Mike wrote:
>  >The acid/base catalysis used for biofuel production looks like
1940's
>  >chemistry - 55 gallon drums, KOH, etc.  The polymer industry,
>  >specifically polymer polyols to make urethanes used this type of
>  >chemistry.  I know this because I worked at one of the top
urethane
>  >suppliers R&D process development group in the mid 90's.  We were
>  >reacting ethylene oxide and propylene oxide to make polymer
polyols,
>  >similar Sn2 chemistry.
>
>       Boy that brings back memories of ethoxylating cellulose back
in the 70's,
> back before the oil embargo and the price of ethylene oxide tripled.
>
>  >Is anyone on the list looking into post-WW II chemistry as a
method
>  >for producing biofuels?
>
>       Yup. We're very excited about building a micro plant to use
developments
> made in the late 90's in the catalytic synthesis of methanol from
H2 and CO.

>       For those not familiar with the developments, the old way of
condensing
> methanol on zinc oxide has been around for almost a century now.
The

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511