Sue,

Yes. A processor can build up several pounds of pressure. A vent into a
manifold which runs to a condensor is the best permanent solution.  A
pressure relief valve is unnecessary.

Using an electric hot water tank as a processor could work (and probably has
for many). The electrodes would still be "super heating" whatever they come
in contact with compared to using a heat exchanger. Whether that has
noticeable negative consequences is a matter open for conjecture.

The pump you referenced is a clear water pump and is known to leak quite
easily. It would probably work. But put a drip pan underneath it. A magnetic
drive pump would be a more leakproof option.

Methoxide mixing creates heat, which in turn generates pressure. A vent in
the methoxide mixer, just as in the reactor, running to a manifold and to a
condensor resolves that problem.

Methanol can be moved from drum to mixer to reactor by positive displacement
with only a few pounds of pressure. But this pressure has to be regulated
carefully to keep from blowing a drum. Approximately 0.7 psi are needed to
raise the alcohol one foot in height. Keep the alcohol components of your
system below 6 feet and you should have no problem. Place your methoxide
mixer's outlet at a height slightly above the reactor top and gravity will
serve as the transfer method from there, eliminating the need for a pressure
rated seal on the mixer.

Todd Swearingen