From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] EPA to Finalize Diesel Pollution Rules Tuesday

What's wrong with this story?

The oxides of nitrogen don't actually come from the fuel, there is no
nitrogen in standard diesel fuel to speak of. The NOx are created in the
combustion
of the fuel, so it is the chore of the engine manufacturer, not the fuel
maker
to control NOx. Fuel refiners will have a hard time controlling NOx, no
matter
how clever they are.

But, in total, this is excellent news. The EPA estimate is that this action
alone will save 12,000 lives a year !! by the time all of the old equipment
is
replaced with new technology. Don't hold your breath for that to happen,
some
of these machines will last 50 years from now, still belching black smoke.
It is biodiesel that can make the difference here, reducing "black smokers"
by
more than 50% in particulate matter and unburned hydrocarbons. I have run a
few experiments that reduced soot levels by up to 80% when 80% biodiesel was
added to the tank, in just 2 hours!   The registry ran the final test twice
since
they couldn't believe a truck could be that much improved in a single day.
Even better, the latest University of California study showed a 93%
reduction in
carcinogens (nPAH's) when biodiesel was used, instead of regular fuel.

Tom Leue

In a message dated 5/10/04 9:13:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=585&e=1&;
> u=/nm/20040510/sc_nm/environment_diesel_dc
>
> 2 hours, 18 minutes ago Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!
>

> By Chris Baltimore
>
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration will finalize rules on
> Tuesday to
> cut air pollution from tractors, bulldozers and other off-road diesel
> vehicles
> by over 90 percent, the Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites)
> said
> on Monday.
>

> Fuel refiners will be required to produce diesel fuel by 2012 that is 99
> percent
> free of smog-causing nitrogen oxides under the new rules, which the EPA
> proposed
> a year ago.
>

> Also, Cummins Inc., Caterpillar Inc. and others will have to sell engines
> starting in 2008 that strip out more harmful particles in emissions linked
> asthma and other serious respiratory ailments.
>

> EPA Administrator Mike Leavitt briefed President Bush (news - web sites)
on