Gustl Steiner-Zehender wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Monday, 10 May, 2004, 22:35:42, you wrote:
>
> AL> Does  my  memory serve me correctly in that one of the "advertised
> AL> benefits"  of  biodiesel  is  that  it  contains  no sulphur hence
> AL> diesels  can  be fitted with catalytic converters? The reason they
> AL> aren't  already is that the sulphur poisons the converter. If this
> AL> is  the  case then won't the new requirements actually be good for
> AL> biodiesel,  assuming  the  engine  companies  do fit the catalytic
> AL> converters?
> AL>         Regards,
> AL>                 Andrew Lowe
>
> I  have a couple of friends who keep telling me that biodiesel will be
> hard  on  engines  since there is no sulphur for lubricity.  And I can
> tell them...?

        I'm not an expert on this but I think you will find that biodiesel is
touted as a REPLACEMENT for sulphur, ie it has better lubrication
properties than sulphur. This is why you are seeing B5 and B10,
dino-diesel which is low sulphur with some biodiesel added to bring the
lubrication back up to scratch - I think. Am I sort of on the right
track here - comments from the list?

        Andrew