Hi Gustl

>Hallo,
>
>Monday, 10 May, 2004, 22:35:42, you wrote:
>
>AL> Does  my  memory serve me correctly in that one of the "advertised
>AL> benefits"  of  biodiesel  is  that  it  contains  no sulphur hence
>AL> diesels  can  be fitted with catalytic converters? The reason they
>AL> aren't  already is that the sulphur poisons the converter. If this
>AL> is  the  case then won't the new requirements actually be good for
>AL> biodiesel,  assuming  the  engine  companies  do fit the catalytic
>AL> converters?
>AL>         Regards,
>AL>                 Andrew Lowe
>
>I  have a couple of friends who keep telling me that biodiesel will be
>hard  on  engines  since there is no sulphur for lubricity.  And I can
>tell them...?

... that biodiesel is the solution to low-lubricity problems, not the
cause of them. Adding 1% of biodiesel increases lubricity by 60%. The
biodiesel industry in the US sees the pending arrival of USLD
(ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel) as a great marketing opportunity, as
adding even a small amount of biodiesel solves the lubricity problem
for older motors without the need for an expensive retrofit. This is
one reason that in France all diesel fuel contains between 2 and 5%
biodiesel. For reference you can send them here:

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/Lubricity.PDF

Which says, among other things:

>Based on the HFRR testing run by Stanadyne, and testing from other
>laboratories showing similar results, Stanadyne Automotive has
>stated:
>
>"É.we have tested biodiesel at Stanadyne and results indicate that
>the inclusion of 2% biodiesel into any conventional diesel fuel will
>be sufficient to address the lubricity concerns that we have with
>these existing diesel fuels. From our standpoint, inclusion of
>biodiesel is desirable for two reasons. First it would eliminate the
>inherent variability associated with the use of other additives and
>whether sufficient additive was used to make the fuel fully
>lubricious. Second, we consider biodiesel a fuel or fuel
>component-not an additiveÉThus if more biodiesel is added than
>required to increase lubricity, there will not be the adverse
>consequences that might be seen if other lubricity additives are
>dosed at too high a rate."
>
>The reasoning behind Stanadyne's support of 2% biodiesel makes
>biodiesel an ideal solution to the existing lubricity problem with
>diesel fuel-while supporting other environmental, energy security,
>and economic development initiatives. As EPA forces the further
>removal of sulfur from diesel fuel in 2006, which will undoubtedly
>worsen fuel lubricity, the concentration of biodiesel can be raised
>to that necessary to fully protect this future fuel as well.

>The conclusions drawn by the researchers from Southwest Research
>Institute were: "Biodiesel fuels consisting of methyl esters of
>soybean oil had excellent scuffing and adhesive wear resistance that
>exceeds those of the best conventional diesel fuels."

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Keith