Hi Dennis

>Hey Keith!
>
>I've been enjoying your posts for some time.

Thankyou! All is not lost!

>Tried to
>visit one of the site's you gave in your post
>concerning the PNGV & Toyota. I can't get to it or the
>site is gone .........
>
>http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm?ID=4959
>
>Any idea if the address is still good?

I'm sure it is, but I got a note from tompaine.com saying their site
would be down for a few days. Try again next week I think. However...
Ha! It's in the archives, you can read it here:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/10937/
Driving In Circles
New Fuel-Efficiency Initiative Is More PR Than Progress
by Steven Rosenfeld
    The Bush administration is giving Detroit a subsidy to develop
hydrogen-fueled cars. But if history is a guide, automakers will use the
program to cover their lack of any real progress on fuel efficiency.

It's an interview with Jack Doyle.

Here's the other one, while I'm at it, also at tompaine.com, Fool
Cells - How Detroit Plays Americans For A Bunch Of Suckers, by Jack
Doyle:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/20706/

>As long as I'm at it .......... in another post of
>yours dealing with rachel.org and the "duty to
>consider" you might want to be a proponent of the
>concept of hanging a few politicians and/or
>bureaucrats. As the "14 Points ..." stated "..past
>practices have failed us". I predict after a few of
>them are left swinging from the trees in front of any
>given legislature the others will see a whole new way
>of behavior and action.

Yes! Great minds think alike (or is it that fools never differ?
LOL!). We were talking about it the other night, about Japan, where,
when some politician or bureaucrat or public servant or whatever does
something dreadful or corrupt and is exposed, they invariably make
this same public apology, saying "I apologise for disturbing the
peace of the society." And that's it! On with business as usual. Now
in the good old days, we were saying, when men were men and all that,
they'd've have done that, yes, but also they'd've disembowelled
themselves with a sword and not cavilled about it. Bring back the
good old days! we said, issue them all with free swords on the
National Health bill or something.

Trouble is one wonders how high the survival rate might be. Or low perhaps.

The big story here at the moment is about the compulsory pension fund
payments everybody has to make, a contentious matter because there
are more old people, fewer young ones, the budget is down and so on.
So the Diet (parliament) has been legislating new measures, lots of
arguments, when suddenly it's found that this particular legislator
who's been pontificating about people's duty and so on, um, hasn't
paid his pension fund. Ulp... Oh, he forgot, it's complicated, it
takes time. Sure... And then another one, and another - scores of
them haven't paid their pension fund payments. Right chaps, off you
go, got your swords?

There's no such thing as public disgrace now. Just off the top of my
head (so to speak) I can think of a dozen recent cases, I'm sure any
of us can, where people did a lot worse than disturb the peace of the
society, it's all been exposed, and far from being handed swords and
told to do the right thing or left swinging from the trees in front
of City Hall or Corporate HQ, it hardly made them blink, they'll
probably do it again. This one's my "favourite":

#1 corporate criminal, ex-Union Carbide CEO Warren Anderson, who
presided over the Bhopal disaster in India, an international fugitive
from charges of culpable homicide and an  extradition order from the
government of India for the past 12 years after jumping bail there.
He was unearthed in 2002 by a UK newspaper and Greenpeace, living a
life of luxury in New York State. American authorities had always
insisted they did not know his whereabouts. Greenpeace videotaped
Anderson and handed him a warrant for his arrest. He denied who he
was and then ran inside the house. The journalists discovered that
Anderson's local golf club subscription costs $2700 a year, more than
five times what Union Carbide's victims in Bhopal got for a lifetime
of illness and suffering (let alone the 20,000-plus who were killed,
or the poisoned babies still being born there).

No sword for this guy, there's honour in seppuku, no punishment would
be sufficient for Anderson. One has to leave it to his gods to take
care of him in an apt manner, as they most surely will do.

How has all this come to pass? Paul Krugman has something to say about it:

http://www.pkarchive.org/economy/ForRicher.html
For Richer
By Paul Krugman
NYT Magazine October 20, 2002

Good read.

Yes, Dennis, it sure would put a whole new face on things. New faces,
and maybe not very many of them, no queues for the job either. This
is what Ben Franklin said in David Brin's "The Postman": "It's said
that 'power corrupts', but actually it's more true that power
attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other
things than power. When they do act, they think of it as service..."

Sane politicians, public servants, captains of industry, trade and
finance, dedicated to service one and all?

Naah, it'd never work, what a mad idea.

Best wishes

Keith