Mike & Gustl

>I politely take exception to a couple of comments: "I think its difficult for
>many Christians to comprehend that others don't hold this belief; just as its
>difficult for many to comprehend that god and Ala are also not the same."
>
>My first response to this was that you are referring to "many Christians" as
>ignorant without any way to justify the argument. I think that this is a bit
>presumptuous -- especially since many of the Christians I knew from church as
>a boy (Mom was into taking us to church sometimes) questioned the role of
>Jesus in the bible and had no faith whatsoever in the trinity.

Mike first:  Its hard to prove such statements.  But its not an ignorant point
of view... its based on perspective.  I can say, with 100% accuracy that all of
the christians I know personally "believe" that god and jesus are 3 entities
(sorry, just had to do it ;).  Check my email address if you think my exposure
is limited.  Further, it's a christian tenant that jesus and god are/were the
same.  My statement is to be taken at face value.  I take the definition of
christian to be one who believes in christ.  The 2 links below sums it up well
in talking about god and jesus.  So, based on these sources, a christian is one
who believes in christ.  One is technically not a christian if they don't
believe in jesus.  Thats not ment to be offensive, just a definition.

http://christianity.com/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID1000|CHID74|CIID1537642,00.html

"Christianity came to regard Jesus as in some sense God's presence in human
form. This was unacceptable to most Jews."
(http://geneva.rutgers.edu/src/christianity/major.html)

Typically my proof is in a simple question, "What if jesus isn't lord."  If
they answer something like, "But he is lord, the bible says so" then I know
that this person does not have the ability to even consider that a reference to
god isn't also a reference to jesus.  Try it out on people you don't know and
see if you get a better than 50% hit rate (provided they claim to be
christian).  If not I'll amend my claim to some christians (though, Pat
Robertson and his followers are definitly on the list).

Gustl,
   After re-reading the text I do see that Allen did indeed say they wern't
religious.  Though, I take it as a contridiction in her writing in that she (as
we know know) says they are deists.  I missed it, but she makes the claim that
if your not christian your not religious... and I know a few jewish people who
are very religious and definitly not christian.  But her point still stands in
that the documents and rhetoric for the founding of my country is not based on
the teachings of jesus christ and the new testament.  And we are all in
agreement that Bush himself doesn't run the country as if its based on
christiantiy (espically when you look at Bush's love of war and the death
penalty and Matthew 5:38-48)

-dave