>Still in regard to FFA, I will be blending in some wvo to bring the
>levels down to a more managable level.
>
>Would most appreciate any indication of maximum ffa level that could
>be handled by a 2-stage acid-base reaction, at standard pressure/60
>degrees C (to minimise capital/running costs).
>
>Thanks,
>Mike Jureidini

Interesting to know, Mike. People don't usually encounter such stuff
as yours. For instance, this is from "Biodiesel Production Technology
Overview", from the NBB:

"Spent frying oils have high levels (5 to 15%) of free fatty acids,
which are natural degradation products of oils..."
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/reportsdatabase/reports/gen/gen-004.pdf

I have quite a lot of recovered FFAs and I guess I could do a whole
series of tests with the acid-base method adding more and more FFAs
until it didn't work anymore, but I'm not very keen to do that. Why
don't you do it in reverse? You know what you're starting with, do
small batches, add virgin oil to bring the FFA-level down, rather
than complicating it with WVO containing higher FFA levels already.

If you're not yet familiar with the acid-base process, better do that
first - small batches, start with virgin oil, then standard (normal?)
WVO, then keep going, as Todd suggested. (Please keep us informed.)

But if you're going to have to bring it down to only 15%, or even
twice that, would it be worth it?

maybe they should just clean that stuff up a bit and sell it as
soapstock or foots.

Best

Keith

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now