Hi Michael

>(Sorry to be a tad pedantic and maybe a bit
>long-winded but it sort of goes with the patch as a
>Visiting Professor here in Thailand!)

Not at all, not long-winded, nice clear explanation, I'm sure a lot
of people will appreciate that.

Actually I did understand this, having checked it out a bit and
discussed it with a few people, but I understand it even better now -
thanks! What puzzled me and mainly why I asked was what you said
about methanol excesses. For the whole process, Aleks uses rather
less methanol than you'd probably have to use for high-ffa feedstock
by most other methods, especially single-stage base. Overall methanol
use, not just for the esterification first stage, is about 67%
excess, depending on the oil; your 9 to 12 times applies to the first
stage only. Well, that's all clear now.

By the way, there are tables showing the stoichiometric ratios for
different oils here:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_meth.html
How much methanol?

Re the condenser, that's one way, but it's hard to separate the
glycerine/FFAs/catalyst in the glycerine layer with the methanol
already removed. Maybe a better way is to drain off the glycerine
layer first, then evaporate off the excess methanol in the biodiesel
(it's about half-half in the biodiesel and the glycerine layer).
After separating the glycerine layer
(http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycsep.html), the rest of the
excess methanol can be recovered from the purified glycerine
(somewhat purified glycerine).

I'd appreciate a picture and diagrams, if that's not too much trouble, thanks.

So you are using the acid-base process as your main method, with both
the 100-l and the 1-tonne reactors? Some people have been having
trouble using it with crude palm oil
(high FFA and high percentage of stearin), but not with olein palm oil.

Thanks again, best wishes

Keith

> [...]
>present we use a simple copper-pipe heat exchanger and
>we totally recycle the cooling water through two x 200
>litre oil drums working as an evaporative cooler by
>having a sprinkler over three perforated baking trays.
>(I'll send you a picture and some plans if you like.)
>
>We have assessed the advantages of a condenser with
>our 100 litre reactor and, as a result, we our
>currently modifying the 1 tonne reactor used for
>making biodiesel from stearin. (This 1 tonne unit is
>the reactor which produces biodiesel for the railway
>trials)
>
>(Sorry to be a tad pedantic and maybe a bit
>long-winded but it sort of goes with the patch as a
>Visiting Professor here in Thailand!)
>
>Best wishes
>
>Michael Allen
>

>--- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello Michael
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >Incidentally, with respect to the high free fatty
> > acid
> > >feeds, the limit to the amount of FFA possible is
> > >probably related to the formation of water in
> > Alek's
> > >first stage esterification using sulfuric acid as
> > the
> > >catalyst. Thus 5%FFA in the oil means that 4mls of
> > >water are produced for every litre of oil. This
> > water
> > >increases soap formation in the second stage (which
> > is
> > >catalysed by sodium hydroxide).
> >
> > I know about the water, that'd be about right. But I
> > don't know about this:
> >
> > >Alek Kak's method
> >
> >(http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_aleksnew.html)
> > >reduces this impact by using 95% pure sulfuric acid
> > >which has a strong affinity for water. He also
> > >recommends about 9 times the amount of methanol
> > >theoretically needed to react with the FFA. This
> > also
> > >has the effect of reducing the water concentration.
> >
> > It uses 8% methanol v/v oil for the acid stage, and
> > 12% for the
> > second stage. You're saying acid esterification of
> > 5% FFAs needs less
> > than 1% methanol?
> >
> > >So, for high(er) FFA, more methanol and more
> > sulfuric
> > >acid should be beneficial. However, that means more
> > >sodium hydroxide to neutralise the acid and some
> > form
> > >of methanol recovery system. We use a simple
> > condenser
> > >connected to the reactor to grab the methanol. We
> > can
> > >either recycle this to the next batch or operate
> > the
> > >reactor under total reflux. This makes it possible
> > >operate the reactor at a higher temperature and so
> > >accelerate the rate of the separate reactions.
> >
> > You're using Aleks's acid-base method this way? Or
> > is that the
> > one-stage transesterification you mentioned

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/9bTolB/TM