One fact in common to all the recent contributors to this thread has been
the bad effects of water produced in the acid esterification of FFAs;
including saponification in the subsequent base transestrification stage.
Most of us like to keep things simple, so I contemplate a boiling operation
between acid and basic stages to evaporate the unwanted water.  This would
apply to our Scottish lard chip fat supply.  The energy burden need not be
too onerous using heat exchangers to recover some of the sensible heat
(latent heat can't be easily recovered), and by using glycerol as heating
fuel.  I am a little worried about what boiling sulphuric acid (albeit
dilute at this stage) will do to ordinary piping and vessel materials.

David T.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/9bTolB/TM