well, join the local 'burnveggies' list for Northern California
biodieselers- www.goblin.punk.net/mailman/listinfo/burnveggies and see who
we are! nice, community-oriented list. check out the archives when you
join.  There is a great need for people to do some kind of advocacy effort
here (so much demand for retail fuel, lots of interest and recognition of
biodiesel) but no organizations doing anything. Our berkeley biodiesel coop
is an utter failure in that regard, though education is supposed to be a
part of our mission. We are, though,  supposedly putting on an oil/energy
politics event in mid march and I'll let lists know about it- I wouldn't
recommend joining the coop though (especially since you don't live here) in
search of an advocacy group. Someone to organize an advocacy and education
group would be VERY very welcomed in the region I believe. For a look at
other nor cal biodieselers/vegetable oil fuels stuff, also check out the
veggieavenger website (a little silly at times)- www.veggieavenger.com

As far as homebrew education, I'm teaching a Biodiesel Intensive class in
late-march and mid-april (two 2-day weekends) in Santa Rosa- I think
they're still letting the general public register though it';s a for-credit
Santa Rosa New College elective class this time so the students at the
college get priority. Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for details on
registering.  I'm also looking for a location in Santa Cruz or San Jose to
do the same class sometime- and I'm sure it'll get announced on the
burnveggies list when this happens...

Blue Sun Biodiesel is in Colorado. I don't know a lot about them, they seem
to have an interesting structure going on- a lot of plans for local farmers
(wheat farmers on the Plains end of Colorado) to grow (I think) mustard
prior to putting in their wheat crop- a win-win situation for those farmers
since it introduces a guaranteed market and price for that oil crop, not
subject to commodities pricing fluctuations and all. they're currently
building a 1-million gallon a year pilot plant and I think their future,
fullsize plant is supposed to produce 40 million gallons a year. They are
of course not small producers or anything.

mark

At 07:38 AM 2/8/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Great bodies of knowledge here.  Thanks.  I am new to this list, and new
>to biodiesel, although I have had some interest in it for some time.  I
>know I am quite far down on the learning curve, and moving slowly up,
>but I am wondering if what is needed here is a concerted volunteer legal
>effort, to work through the red tape, and offer the results to all.  I'm
>sure there are ways to get the word out that the biofuels effort is in
>need of free legal help, to wade through all of the issues, state by
>state, starting with the areas that make most sense.  I am talking about
>creating a figurative map for those who wish to get involved in somewhat
>larger scale production, so we can get more and more vehicles running on
>biodiesel.  Comments?  Perhaps this is already happening.
>
>I would also like to ask for assistance in my biofuels education.  I am
>very interested in learning as much as I can as quickly as I can about
>biodiesel production.  Are there any seminars being put on around
>northern California that I might attend, to learn more.  Are any of the
>producers willing to have people tour their production facilities?
>  Where is Blue Sun Biodiesel?  What recommedations can all of you make
>to someone who has the energy and the time to spend helping to further
>this cause?  Are there efforts in the Bay area that would benefit from
>volunteer help, on any level?  I am in the Santa Cruz area.
>
>Please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post any of what I have
>just posted, but from what I have read of late, this seems to be the
>best place I have found yet.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Mark D. Farragher
>

>Biofuels at Journey to Forever