Greetings Joe,
Actually we are in SE Texas.  That is why we caught the very edge of Katrina.  I have been talking to people from New Orleans that left as the evacuation was happening.  This is how I could state, that as far as I have been able to find out, there were no hitchhikers on  the exits looking for rides.  If you don't have money or a car, how else do you leave?

Bright Blessings,
Kim