Dear Hakan,

I hold no brief for the second Gulf war and am totally disgusted with
George Bush and was so before it became cool to be disgusted with George
Bush.  However, this assertion about the US led blockade has always
seemed to me grossly unfair.  Large numbers of children (and adults for
that matter) died as a direct consequence of how Sadam chose to spend
the money from the oil for food program.  He built 27 palaces and
diverted money to rebuild his military.  Given how he gassed and
tortured Iraqis before the first Gulf war he needed no help from the US
to visit atrocities on his own people.   If he had used the money the
way it was intended, for food and medicine, nobody would have starved.
Also, this is without taking into consideration the hundreds of millions
of dollars he had stashed away outside the country that could have been
used to feed his people.  Or do we say that, since he was a head of
state, he stole the money fair and square so it was his?

Rick