Dear Pannirselvam

Thanks for your message, sorry for the late reply.

>Respected  and dear Keith and members
>
>  Thanking you for you to bring here the updated  valuable
>information about Castor  as biofuel raw material.
>
>       The underdeveloped dry semiarid land of the north east of
>Brazil  has been found to be very excellent  for Castor cultivation
>with high productivity. .The Brazilian big oil company PETROBRAS
>has pa tended process based on the Castor  , some more detailed
>process information , I can send another  e mail  if there is an
>need for the same here.

Please do, if it's not too much trouble.

>        By using one step  simultaneous  extraction and
>esterification , the patented process use crushed seeds  to make
>four products , the BioD , the glycerol , the protein, carbohydrate
>that seem to deintoxicated for animal feed  is now being   scaled up
>to big pilot plant.

I wonder how they detoxify it. Ricin is very poisonous.

>          Competing with this big , another  big a private oil
>company , now making  investments  with social  and unfriendly
>agricultural  modern  big farming  , as this company  called Eco
>diesel is  also  entering now  into the market of Brazilian B2 fuel
>market,  making  sound  Eco farming model  giving land for the poor
>landless peole to plant  Castor , the housing , the eduction ,the
>state government giving the lands , this  private company  use the
>conventional process  based on the process of the Brazilian father
>of BioD , Prof Expedito Parente , who  invited me from India to
>BRAZIL(1983)  , for me  to dedicate on the the Brazilian biofuel
>research project. He  has the first word patent  of bioD including
>the Castor  based process , and also made Biokerosene from castor
>oil   sucessfully  proved to be the fuel for airoplane
>with  Military research.
>Prof Expedito also work with several government and private  company
>to make Biofuel  and any one can easily  share experience with him
>about castor oil  processing  and  he has book published too in
>Brasil
>
>    The small presss , the small JTF procees , designed  to make
>animal feed , pyrolsed biogas , Biofuel and organic fertlizer  to
>recycle back the bioenrgy  for comunity  development is our  small
>group research efforts which surely include sunflower , caster oil
>of the dry lands as these can make sustainable the life of dry
>semiarid  peple with great hope with green energy projects.

The pyrolised biogas part of it is beyond me, so far.

>This integrated  project is our dream to make it reality , as we
>have already made the small press , thanks to Keith JTF , so simple
>to make , now processing coonut , getting good resutls , future the
>sunflower and also the castor oil .

Which small press it that, Pan? Is it this one?

The Sunflower Seed Huller and Oil Press
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/oilpress.html

Do you have any photographs of it being used?

> We  believe , there is no need of bioD , as we already  can use oil
>directly  upto 25 porcent by blending with petro deisel as this is
>very cheaper in rural area too , the blending of BIOD  from caster ,
>we hope to  get the better results .
>
>   Brazil has 20 years of good research reports about castor oil use
>as biofuel , which we have the acess .One main problem with castor
>oil BioD is the viscosity that can be easily solved.

That seems to be the main problem. Castor oil is 100 times more
viscous than petro-diesel. Castor oil biodiesel is less viscous than
the straight oil, but several references say it is still higher than
the national standards specification limits. If there is an easy way
to make it less viscous or to solve the problem that would be
valuable to know.

Do you have any further information on this?

This is quite interesting on how castor oil works as a lubricant and
why it's different to other oils:
http://www.georgiacombat.com/CASTOR_OIL.htm
CASTOR OIL

>    We are ready to shar the  the Brasilian research effort as  we
>believe that  we will be the number one in the world to come up with
>this biofuel , not because  of the will of the 8 biilions of liters
>of alcohol we produce  , because  the country has the vast land
>resources nearby by the  Africa , and Europe where there is need
>for the fuel .
>
>      Yet big  is not not beautifuel ,

That's a very good word!  Big is not beautifuel, small is beautifuel,
that's great! :-)

>as  Micro Soft Bill  Gate  too has  invested the money in the  big
>Brazilian ethanol  plants , but what we need is a sustainable
>global world based on small  scale decentralised biomass refinary
>and investments for  small ecobusiness , not the money of big
>blues  for the  modern high tech , leading to  large scale
>unemployments and large loans , poverty.

You are surely right. Doesn't it also mean that the market in Europe
might not be so important because of the "fuel miles" issue, the
unsustainability of using fuel to transport fuel over long distances?

>     In this respect our biofuel list members are more aware , yet
>we need to come together , give  and take our hands to solve  the
>problems , mainly the from tropical south countries with the need to
>duplicate the big scale BIOD busines mistake of the
>developed countries  as  other need not blindly copy the Big one
>HIGH TECH .

Yes, in a way they are in a better position, they can "leapfrog" to
sustainable energy without the obstacle of huge central industries
and their influence on policy.

Thankyou Pannirselvam, best wishes

Keith