  From: robert and benita rabello
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 7:01 PM
  Subject: [Biofuel] The Death of a Compost Bin

  Although I don't do all of my composting in a bin, nearly all of our
household table scraps and the entire collection of waste from our bunny cage
went into a black plastic compost bin.  Please note the past tense verb . . .

  About a week or so ago, we had a blast of arctic air sweep through this area.
 Temperatures plummeted and with the outflow winds howling out of the east,
windchills of -20 C lasted for two or three days.  (I know that some of you
further east will probably laugh at this, but for those of us who live near the
ocean, -20 is pretty cold!)  The moisture in my compost bin expanded as it
froze, literally warping or shattering the plastic bin.

  The whole thing actually fell over this morning.  I went out to clean up the
mess and found the top third of the contents completely preserved and
uncomposted (big surprise, it's been cold, right?), the middle third consisted
of a singular mass of partially composted, frozen material, while the bottom
third remained warm enough to keep on decomposing.

  But the composter is toast.  I'll have to construct another one because I'm
NOT going to use plastic again . . .  What do the rest of you use for compost
bin construction material?

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"